Citizens Housing and Planning Association (CHAPA)

Contact Information

18 Tremont Street, Suite 401""
Boston, MA 02108

Phone: (617) 742-0820 (voice)    (617) 742-0820 (TTY)
Toll Free: (800) HOME-111
Fax: (617) 742-3953

View the Citizens Housing and Planning Association website

Information Specialist:

Hours: Monday – Friday, 9 AM – 5 PM

Additional Locations: None.

Organization Narrative

Citizens Housing and Planning Association is the primary statewide housing advocacy and research organization in Massachusetts. Established in 1967, CHAPA is the only statewide group which represents all interests in the housing field, including nonprofit and for-profit developers, consumers, advocates, home owners, tenants, bankers, property managers, government officials and others.

CHAPA’s mission is to encourage the production and preservation of housing that is affordable to low income families and individuals. CHAPA pursues its goals through advocacy with local, state and federal officials; research on affordable housing issues; community education and training; coalition and consensus building among broad interests in the housing field.

Through a strong volunteer membership base of more than 1,500 people, CHAPA has been able to have a positive impact on the lives of thousands of low and moderate income residents. CHAPA has been the leading housing group advocating for increased housing opportunities for people with disabilities, and for families who require support services to live independently. CHAPA spearheaded the effort to pass the 1995 Mixed Populations Bill.

CHAPA is the lead agency for Mass Access: The Accessible Housing Registry. Mass Access catalogs every accessible unit in the state and tracks its availability. This database matches accessible housing units with people with disabilities who need specific design features. This project is funded by the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission and is administered through the statewide network of Independent Living Centers.

If you are searching for accessible rental housing, call your local Independent Living Center (see below),  or visit our website the MA Access Housing Registry.

Each Independent Living Center has a Housing Specialist who can provide you with information about vacant, accessible units in your community and assist you with the application process. View a list of Independent Living Centers in MA

Berkshire County
(413) 442-7047

Greater Boston
(617) 338-6665

Central Mass
(508) 798-0350

Cape & Islands
(508) 775-8300

South Shore
(508) 583-2166

North Shore / Cape Ann
(978) 741-0077

Northeastern Mass
(978) 687-4288

Fall River / New Bedford
(508) 679-9210

Hampden / Hampshire / Franklin County
(413) 256-0473

Dorchester, Hyde Park, Jamaica Plain, Mattapan, Roslindale, Roxbury, West Roxbury
(617) 288-9431

(508) 875-7853

Population(s) Served

No information



No information.