Utility Bills – Energy Assistance Discounts

Utility Bills – Energy Assistance Discounts

Here are programs and resources to get help with utility bills.

Call the Cold Relief Heatline at 800-632-8175 (voice/TTY) to find out where to apply for Fuel Assistance (LIHEAP), Weatherization (WAP), and the Heating System Repair and Replacement Program (HEARTWAP). The Fuel Assistance Application also serves as an application for the Weatherization program and the Heating System Repair and Replacement Program (HEARTWAP).

Fuel Assistance –  Also known as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), is a government program to help low-income families and individuals pay their heating bills during the winter. The fuel assistance program is administered through local community action programs (CAPs).

Eligibility for fuel assistance is based on having low income and low assets. Find out which CAP serves your area.

All electric and most gas companies have low-income discount programs. You automatically qualify for discounts if you receive food stamp benefits, MassHealth, SSI, fuel assistance, veterans’ services, if your child is in Head Start or the school lunch program. These discounts can save you 20 -35% on each bill. To apply for discounts, call your gas and electric companies to request an application. If your utility company is not listed, look on your utility bill for the Customer Service number. You may also call the Department of Public Utilities toll-free at 1-877-886-5066 for information.

Electric and gas companies also offer free “energy conservation surveys” which may pay for insulation, water-saving devices, low-energy lights and provide useful tips on how to save money on utility bills. For information on either program, contact your utility company’s customer service department or the Consumer Division of the Department of Public Utilities at 1-877-886-5066. Additionally, water and sewer companies often offer discounts to people with disabilities, regardless of income or assets. Call your water company to inquire.

The Good Neighbor Energy Fund –  Operated by your local Salvation Army Office, is for those with limited income that are not eligible for fuel assistance. The fund most often helps families or individuals facing an unexpected short-term financial crisis. Your immigration status does not matter for this program. You may apply by directly contacting your local Salvation Army Service Center. If you do not see a Service Center in your local area, please call 339-502-5900.
Phone: 800-334-3047 (serving area codes 508, 617, 781 and 978) or 800-262-1320 (serving area code 413).
Find a local Salvation Army office

Mass 2-1-1An Information resource for finding help in paying heating bills. Just dial 2-1-1 for assistance. Available 24 /7.

Citizens Energy Corporation –  Now accepting applications to JOE-4-SUN. You must be a low-income ratepayer withNational Grid or Eversource to qualify.  Phone: 855-563-4786

Verizon Lifeline and Link Up Programs  Available for Verizon Customers in Massachusetts. Lifeline discount is limited to a single line of service, and you aren’t able to apply for multiple Lifeline accounts. You must choose to apply your Lifeline discount to either a landline or mobile number, but not both. You’ll be required to sign an application certifying, under penalty of perjury, that you’ll comply with this requirement.. To get more information on any of these programs, call the Verizon Accessibility Resource Center.
Verizon Wireless National Accessibility Customer Service Phone: 888-262-1999 (v/TTY).

Department of Telecommunications and Cable –  State agency that can assist consumers with disabilities with disputes or issues that they have with their landline telephone and or cable service.
Phone: 617-305-3531
Toll-Free: 800-392-6066
Online Complaint Form

Lifeline – Federal program offering telephone discounts to low income consumers. You are eligible for Lifeline if you participate in MassHealth, Fuel Assistance, Food Stamps and some of the other public benefits.  Lifeline does not apply to long distance or cell phone service.  There are two ways to qualify for the Lifeline program: income-based eligibility (household income is at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines) or program-based eligibility (Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Supplemental Security Income, Federal Public Housing Assistance, Certain Federally-Recognized/State Tribal Assistance Programs, and Veteran’s Pension or Survivor’s Pension benefit).
To apply for Lifeline, call your local telephone company or apply online.
Lifeline National Verifier

FCC Consumer Help Center Accessibility InfoProvides accessibility information for phone, TV, and telecommunication services.

Fact Sheet last updated on: 9/30/2021